The Archives is the official repository for unpublished, non-current University records of historical, fiscal, legal, social, or administrative value. Records held in the Archives date from the historical beginnings of the University with Battle Creek College, in Battle Creek. Michigan, from 1874–1901; then moving to Berrien Springs as Emmanuel Missionary College, 1901-1960; and merging in 1960 with Potomac University and the Theological Seminary from Washington DC (1934-1960) forming its present identity as Andrews University. The records maintained at the Archives include the correspondence of the presidents and other members of the administration; minutes of the Board of Trustees, administrative and faculty committees; and other records from central administrative offices, student services, and various schools, departments, institutes, and other entities of the University.
The Andrews University Archives is a University entity under the administration of the Provost and guided by the University Archives Committee. It functions as one of the units of the Center for Adventist Research. The Archives assists offices across campus to maintain well-organized active, or current, files and provides guidance for transfer of appropriate inactive, or non-current, University records to storage. Records are retained in the Archives for specified periods of time as set by University needs or by applicable state laws. Records become public or are destroyed according to established records retention schedules.
The Archives holds over 1,000 cubic feet of University records. It also has a growing collection of born-digital records.